Toe fracture (not big toe)
You have a fracture of your toe (phalanx fracture). This injury is treated with a tape, called a buddy tape.
Op deze pagina snel naar
- You have a fracture of your toe.
- This type of injury almost always heals well without any loss of function.
- A routine follow-up is not necessary for this type of injury.
- You can remove the buddy tape after 1-2 weeks as soon as the pain allows. Wear a sturdy shoe for 2 weeks.
- To prevent the toe from getting stiff, it is important that you start moving the toe again as soon as possible.
- You can find instructions on how to reapply the buddy tape in this information and in our Virtual Fracture Care app in the App store (iPhone) or Google Store (Android).
- If you have any questions, or are experiencing problems with your recovery, you can call the 'Breuklijn' (fracture hotline) on workdays between 10.00-12.00.
A fracture of the toe is a common injury. The fracture is treated with a buddy tape. A buddy tape attaches the injured toe to the toe next to it, immobilizing the injured toe.
|After 3 weeks|
Follow these instructions for a good recovery.
- Wear the buddy tape for 1 week, if you are still experiencing pain after the first week, you can wear the buddy tape for another week.
- You can stand on your foot if your pain allows you to do so. If necessary, you can rent crutches at the hospital.
- Elevate your foot when you are resting to reduce swelling and pain. This can be done by putting your foot on a chair.
- It is important to move your toe as much as possible. No specific exercises are necessary.
- We advise you not to practise sports the first 3 weeks. After 3 weeks you can start sports again, if the pain allows you to do this.
- Are you in pain? Use a mild pain killer such as acetaminophen. Do not wait with the use of acetaminophen until the pain is too much.
- This type of injury almost always heals well with time and use.
- No specific treatment is required and routine follow-up is not necessary.
- Does the pain increase, or does it not improve? Please contact the 'Breuklijn' (fracture hotline). See also the information at the bottom of this page.
Reapply buddy tape
If you want to reapply the buddy tape, you can watch this instructional video. You can buy new materials at the pharmacy or reapply the tape from the Emergency Department. In the video a special shoe is used, usually you do not need this special shoe and you can use your own (sturdy) shoe.
It is important to move your toe as much as possible. No specific exercises are necessary.
Virtual Fracture Care app
In our Virtual Fracture Care app, you can find more information about your injury. You can also find exercises here to improve your recovery. You can find the app in the Appstore (iPhone) and in the Google Store (Android). You can also scan the QR-code, automatically you will be transferred to the app.
Questions? Please call the 'Breuklijn'
If there are any questions after reading this information, please call the 'Breuklijn' (fracture hotline) on workdays between 10.00-12.00.