The torus fracture of the wrist or lower-arm is a common injury in children. The fracture is treated with a brace and a sling.
|After 4 weeks|
Follow the instructions for a good recovery
- The brace and sling keep your child’s arm in a comfortable position.
- Wear the brace for one week. Is your child in too much pain after 1 week? Then your child can use the brace in the second week. After the second week your child should not wear the brace anymore.
- Your child can wear the sling as well, it can be removed if your child’s pain allows you to do this.
- The fracture is close to your child’s wrist. Therefore it is important that your child starts moving his/her wrist after 1-2 weeks. This prevents your child’s wrist from getting stiff and improves the healing and recovery. No specific exercises are necessary.
- After 3 weeks your child can carefully start all activities again. This is only when your child’s pain allows this. If your child is still experiencing too much pain to do this, it is better to wait a few more days.
- When your child takes a shower the brace can be removed. Make sure that your child’s arm is completely dry before putting on the brace again. You can find instructions about putting on a brace in our Virtual Fracture Care app and/or in this video.
- Is your child in pain? Use a mild pain killer such as acetaminophen. Do not wait with the use of acetaminophen until the pain is too much.
- This type of injury almost always heals well with time and use.
- No specific treatment is required and routine follow-up is not necessary.
- Does the pain increase, or does it not improve? Please contact the 'Breuklijn' (fracture hotline). See also the information at the bottom of this page. We will make an appointment if it is needed.
Virtual Fracture Care app
In our Virtual Fracture Care app, you can find more information about your injury. You can also find exercises here to improve your recovery. You can find the app in the Appstore (iPhone) and in the Google Store (Android). You can also scan the QR-code, automatically you will be transferred to the app.
Questions? Please call the 'Breuklijn'
If there are any questions after reading this information, please call the 'Breuklijn' (fracture hotline) on workdays between 10.00-12.00.