The greenstick fracture of the wrist or lower-arm is a common injury in children. This type of injury is called a greenstick fracture because it looks like a young twig that has been bent. It is treated with a brace and a sling.
|After 5 weeks|
Follow these instructions for a good recovery.
- The brace and sling will keep your child’s arm in a comfortable position.
- Continue to wear the brace for two weeks. If your child is in too much pain after 2 weeks, you can continue to use the brace into the third week. After the third week, your child should not wear the brace anymore.
- Your child can wear the sling as well, but it can and should be removed as soon as your child’s pain allows.
- The fracture is close to the wrist. It is important that your child starts moving the wrist after 1-2 weeks. This will prevent the wrist from getting stiff and will improve healing and recovery. No specific exercises are necessary.
- After 3 weeks, your child can gradually start all usual activities again as soon as your child’s pain allows. If your child is still in too much pain, it is better to wait a few more days.
- When your child takes a shower, the brace can be removed. Make sure that the arm is completely dry before putting on the brace again. You can find instructions on how to reapply the brace in our Virtual Fracture Care app or in this video.
- Is your child in pain? Use a mild pain killer such as acetaminophen. Do not wait until the pain is too much.
- This type of injury almost always heals well with time and use.
- No specific treatment is required and routine follow-up is not necessary.
- Does the pain increase, or does it not improve? Please contact the 'Breuklijn' (fracture hotline). See also the information at the bottom of this page.
Virtual Fracture Care app
In our Virtual Fracture Care app you can find more information about your injury. You can also find exercises here to improve your recovery. You can find the app in the Appstore (iPhone) and in the Google Store (Android). You can also scan the QR-code, automatically you will be transferred to the app.
Questions? Please call 'Breuklijn'
If there are any questions after reading this information, please call the 'Breuklijn' (fracture hotline) on workdays between 10.00-12.00.